OAE Undergraduate Housing Assignments
The OAE Undergraduate Housing Assignments Timeline
*Monday, March 6, 2023: The Summer 2022-23 and AY 2023-24 OAE Undergraduate Housing Accommodation Request Form (HARF) opens in OAE | CONNECT
*Monday, April 24, 2023 at 11:59 pm PDT: Deadline to submit HARF for Summer 2022-23 to the OAE
*Friday, May 12, 2023 at 11:59 pm PDT: Deadline to submit HARF for AY 2023-24 to the OAE
*Wednesday, June 21, 2023: Student Housing notifies all undergraduate students with accommodations and their groupmates of their housing assignments
Please note: HARFs and Axess applications received after their respective deadlines may not be processed in time for OAE assignments. If you have an accommodation request that comes in after the deadline, or if your accommodation request is not substantiated by documentation in time for the deadline, your accommodations will not be implemented until the summer re-assignments round or thereafter on a rolling, as available, basis.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What's the Undergraduate Housing Assignment Process?
- What's the OAE Undergraduate Housing Accommodation Process?
- How do I participate in the OAE Undergraduate Housing Accommodation Process?
- When is the OAE Undergraduate HARF Deadline?
- Can I apply with friends and still take part in the OAE Undergraduate Accommodation process?
- What should friends know about joining me in the OAE Lottery?
- Can I take part in the OAE Undergraduate Accommodation process and the standard neighborhood building and room selection process?
- How do I know what my approved disability-related accommodations are?
- Why is the OAE Undergraduate Accommodation Deadline so early?
- Can I pre-assign and still request housing accommodations?
- What if I missed the OAE Undergraduate Accommodation Deadline?
- How do I know if I should submit an Undergraduate HARF or a Graduate HARF?
- How do I apply for housing if I am an incoming frosh or transfer student?
What's the Undergraduate Housing Assignment Process?
R&DE Student Housing uses an assignments process to assign housing to undergraduate students. You are assigned according to (1) your seniority level and (2) your housing choices.
This process takes place each spring for assignments during Summer Quarter and the following academic year.
What's the OAE Undergraduate Housing Accommodation Process?
The OAE and R&DE Student Housing use a parallel process to assign housing to undergraduate students who need disability housing accommodations for themselves. Students who participate in the OAE Undergraduate Housing Accommodation process do not participate in the standard ResEd building and room type selection process. Housing Assignment Services (HAS) will manually assign you to a placement according to (1) OAE approved disability-related accommodations, (2) your seniority level, and (3) your housing choices.
How do I participate in the OAE Undergraduate Housing Accommodation Process?
- Be registered with the OAE;
- Have disability documentation on file;
- Submit an OAE Undergraduate Housing Accommodation Request Form (HARF) in OAE | CONNECT by the OAE Undergraduate HARF deadline of Friday May 12, 2023; and
- Submit an undergraduate housing application in Axess by the R&DE deadline.
When is the OAE Undergraduate HARF Deadline?
The OAE Undergraduate HARF deadline changes annually. This year's deadline is published in the Timeline above.
Can I apply with friends and still take part in the OAE Undergraduate Accommodation process?
Yes, you can apply for housing with friends in Axess and participate in the OAE Undergraduate Accommodation process to have your disability-related accommodations met. See R&DE’s page Apply for Housing with a Group for details on group sizes, group retention, and other aspects of applying as a group.
All groups are managed through your Axess application; OAE will not be collecting group member information or informing group members of their participation in the OAE round. It is your responsibility to inform your friends of your accommodation needs so they are aware that this may impact final assignments.
What should friends know about joining me in the OAE Lottery?
When you apply with friends, it's your responsibility to explain:
- That you are requesting OAE housing accommodations and this will impact our assignment as a group.
- That my housing accommodations apply only to me. Group members will be assigned room types commensurate with their seniority level.
- Group members will not participate in the standard ResEd building and room type selection process. Housing Assignment Services (HAS) will manually place us based on the residence choices ranked on my student housing application in Axess.
- All group member housing applications - and mine - are due in Axess by the published deadline.
Can I take part in the OAE Undergraduate Accommodation process and the standard neighborhood building and room selection process?
Since the Undergraduate Housing Assignment process and the OAE Undergraduate Accommodation process happen in parallel, you (and your group members) can participate in one or the other - not both. Being a part of the OAE housing accommodation process means relinquishing the right to participate in the standard building and room selection process. This is so that Housing Assignments can identify and assign you and your group to a placement that meets your accommodation needs before the standard process opens.
How do I know what my approved disability-related accommodations are?
Your Disability Adviser at the OAE will send a notice of your approved housing accommodations via email, no later than five business days after the OAE Undergraduate Accommodation Deadline. Any questions, concerns, or appeals for reconsideration should be articulated right away.
Why is the OAE Undergraduate Accommodation Deadline so early?
In order to ensure that facilities modifications, specific room configurations, and other disability-related needs are met, The OAE Undergraduate Accommodation assignments are determined ahead of the standard housing assignments process.
Can I pre-assign and still request housing accommodations?
Yes! If your pre-assignment application is accepted and your medical needs can be accommodated in your chosen residence, Housing Assignments and the OAE will collaborate to facilitate your outlined accommodations for that residence. If you cannot be accommodated in that particular residence, OAE will contact you about obtaining an assignment through the OAE assignment process.
You can learn more about the pre-assignment deadlines and general information here. It is important to keep in mind that pre-assignment is a singular process, and does not allow group assignments. As part of pre-assigning, students agree to take on a substantial role in the community, including leading events, facilitating workshops, etc. They must apply for pre-assigned positions and be selected by that house leadership. Each house has its own set of requirements, which you must agree to fulfill in order to pre-assign. If you have concerns about your ability to perform these requirements, please contact your Disability Adviser.
What if I missed the OAE Undergraduate Accommodation Deadline?
After the published OAE Undergraduate Accommodation deadline, all disability-related housing accommodation requests are reviewed by the OAE on a rolling basis and implemented by Student Housing as space becomes available. Groups are not considered after the OAE Undergraduate Accommodations deadline.
How do I know if I should submit an Undergraduate HARF or a Graduate HARF?
- Current Undergraduates applying for couples or family housing should use the 2023-24 Graduate Housing Accommodations Request Form (GR HARF) when it goes online.
- If you are a senior co-term entering your fifth year of Housing, you should apply for graduate student housing by participating in the Graduate Housing Lottery. The OAE Graduate Lottery HARF will be available in late March.
How do I apply for housing if I am an incoming frosh or transfer student?
All Incoming frosh or transfer students who need disability-related housing accommodations on campus should register with the OAE as soon as possible and discuss their housing needs with their Disability Adviser. Your Disability Adviser will explain the process and ask you to submit a Rolling Housing Accommodation Request Form (HARF) when Summer Quarter 2022-2023 and Academic Year 2023-2024 are added as options at the end of April 2023.